V.O.C.A.L. Volunteer Older Citizens Action League VOCAL and Area Agency on Aging AAA
Vocal Older Citizens Action League (V.O.C.A.L.) is a 501(c)(3) dedicated non-governmental adjunct to the New Hanover County Senior Resource Center designed to conduct & manage fundraising ventures to raise tax-exempt funds via a financial conduit designed to support NHCSRC activities, programs, and services and to be an advisory board which provides general advisory input to SRC Staff with respect to NHCSRC operations.
We have a yearly fundraiser called the Wine and Chocolate Festival that is held at the end of January/beginning of February, one weekend each year, at a Downtown Wilmington location. VOCAL oversees that fundraiser, as well as our annual Spring/Fall and Holiday wreath sales. You can find wreaths displayed in our main hallway each April-May, then again in September – December. Cash or check is acceptable. The wreaths are in different styles, different sizes. We had a cute Nautical – themed wreath that sold within minutes of display for sale.
Another fundraiser is the annual Craft Fair that is held in the Fall. Our Craft department uses those funds to buy yarn and other materials for the Craft department. If you want to know about the next Craft Fair, please call 910-798-6406.
- Cape Fear Council of Governments is the designated Area Agency on Aging (AAA) for North Carolina Planning Region O serving Brunswick, Columbus, New Hanover and Pender Counties.
- The AAA is mandated by the Older Americans Act of 1965, as amended, to work on behalf of older adults and their caregivers in the four-county area.
- The AAA assists the counties as they study the needs of older citizens and plan services to meet those needs. Provision of community-based services enables older adults to live independently in their own homes as long as possible.
- Federal, state, and local funds make services possible through grant agreements with Boards of County Commissioners and community service providers.
- Development, coordination, and implementation of a comprehensive care system for older adults
- Development of programs and resources to address gaps in services
- Information and referral to local resources
- Allocation and management of funding for services in the region
- Technical assistance to agencies which serve older adults
- Regional Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
- Family Caregiver Support Program
- Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP)
- Administrative support of the Region’s N.C. Senior Tar Heel Legislature
- 2015-2017 Region O Senior Tar Heel Legislature (STHL) Delegates & Alternates
- Education and information on aging issues and resources
- Coordination of the Cape Fear Elder Abuse Prevention Network
Jane S. Jones, Director
910-395-4553 /800-218-6575 ext. 209
« Back to news overview