CLICK HERE FOR THIS WEEK’S NEWS!
Halloween is coming up! Be sure to join us in costume or a mask on Thursday, Oct. 31st at 10:30am for Mask Decoration, 10:45 for the “Treat or Treat” and 11am for games including Fortune Teller, Mummy Wrap, and Costume Contest. Be sure to bring a container to collect all your treats!
We have a Department of Social Services caseworker located on site at the Senior Resource Center! The DSS caseworker will be available to take applications for Adult Medicaid and the Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) programs. In addition, they will be offering case management, such as changing addresses, assisting with benefit recertification, and case status updates. The DSS case worker will be located at the Senior Re-source Center, in the SHIIP office, on the following days and times: Mondays from 1:30-5:00 or on Wednesdays from 8:00-5:00.
UPCOMING, November 13th, please mark your calendars. The Discussion Group is seeking new members. We discuss one topic each month, chosen from a wide range of categories: arts and culture, public policy and politics, societal trends and customs, philosophy and religion. Meetings are on the second Wednesday of the month, 10am to noon, stop by and see what we are about. We meet in Craft Room 2. For any questions, contact Bob Foley at email@example.com.
Click on these 2 links to view pictures of fun events from Flickr, called Flicker, the NHC Photo Album Site!
COMBO CLASS! This class combines exercise movements with line dance steps. The best of both worlds. Please join us on Wednesdays at 10am or Fridays at 11:30am. If you have questions about the class, call Sharon at 386-7110.
AFTERNOON TAP IS BACK! Wednesday afternoons at 2:30pm. Learn basic tap steps and routines. You can find out about performance group participation too.
Geri-Fit exercise class at the Castle Hayne Baptist Church – It will be held on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Monday of the month at 9:30am. The address is 4544 Castle Hayne Road, it is 1/2 mile north from the intersection of North College Road and Blue Clay Road. Geri Fit is for seniors age 60 and older. No charge however contributions are welcomed and appreciated. We will do light aerobics, stretching, balancing, hand weights for muscle building, and practice our deep breathing. We take hydration breaks so please bring water. Each class is 45 minutes long. Hope to see you there!
Specific Intensity Levels for the Tai Chi for Arthritis Classes
Tuesday’s Tai Chi Classes will be: 9am Beginners, 10am Advanced
Wednesday’s Tai Chi Classes will be: 12:15pm Beginners, 1:15pm Intermediate
- Evening fitness class – We meet every Thursday starting at 5:45pm here at the Senior Resource Center, Physical Fitness Room. The class has light aerobics, hand weights, deep breathing, stretching, and balancing. A complete workout. We take hydration breaks so please bring water. See you soon!
- Gentle Yoga for Bone and Back Health is a mat/chair yoga class designed for people who are experiencing back issues, have been diagnosed with Osteopenia/ Osteoporosis, or have difficulty getting up and down off the mat. The cost for this class is $5 per class. For information on days and times, contact Annette Crumpton 910-617-2011. Space is limited so please check with Annette for enrollment status.
- Alzheimer’s Support number is 910-233-9538.
- Contributions to support Title III-D EBHP classes such as Geri-Fit, Tai Chi for Arthritis, and Matter of Balance are encouraged and always appreciated.
Our library is overflowing; at this time we are not accepting contributions of books or magazines, thank you.
We have had several contributions of Feeding Tube Products in the past. Unfortunately, we cannot use these items or give them away to Center participants. These products are not like Ensure or Boost drinks. As far as other contributions, we have plenty of books, magazines, jigsaw puzzles, VHS tapes and board games. Please take contributions of these items to the Seamen’s Center, Goodwill, or Salvation Army. We cannot use scraps of quilting material, but we can use yarn….. certain types/colors/thicknesses work best. Please call 798-6406. Thank you.
- BRIDGE – Monday Duplicate Bridge, 686-5554 / Tuesday Intermediate Contract Rubber Party Bridge, 367-6739 / Wednesday Bridge, 399-8306
OTHER OFF-SITE BRIDGE INFORMATION: 452-3057, 799-4287, 763-4079, 681-3715, or 232-2754. Anyone at these numbers should be able to tell you several different places around Wilmington to play, including the facility at the Government Center. They also should know of any bridge lessons.
On the first Wednesday of each month we have a one-hour program that lets seniors know about upcoming opportunities for trips and travel. Most of these trips are in VA, NC and SC but there are others. If you want to learn about upcoming trips please join us at 11am on the first Wednesday of each month in Craftroom 2. These are not Senior Center sponsored trips. We do not know ahead of time what trips are planned or any future destinations. For any questions about travel, please call – – – – –910-791-0554 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
« Back to news overview