The Commission shall be organized for the purpose of acting as an advocate for women and a resource of information on the status of women in New Hanover County for the New Hanover County Board of Commissioners (Board) and Wilmington City Council (Council):
- To identify the status of women and assess the needs of women in New Hanover County (County) and the City of Wilmington (City);
- To provide a status of women in New Hanover County report on an annual basis to the Board and Council;
- To provide information and recommendations to the Board and Council on the needs and issues important to women as it deems necessary in improving and upholding the opportunities in employment, education and community services for all people, regardless of sex;
- To work toward the betterment of the status of women with respect to employment and educational opportunities, health services, child care services, welfare services, financial services, and community leadership opportunities;
- To serve as an umbrella to coordinate and support all women's initiatives, organizations, and networks in the County and the City including coordinating and cooperating with the YWCA and other organizations involved in activities on the status of women; and
- To conduct educational seminars in collaboration with other organizations for residents and businesses in the County and the City.